Uh, you're assuming everyone on the list use only one type of machine.

For instance, I'm writing this on a Linux box, but have 3 FBSD servers I administer,
as well as a small handful of Windows servers I'm responsible for. I also use windows
2000 and XP as well as FBSD and more than 2 distros of Linux at the desktop, from
various work and home locations.

After hanging out here for six months or so I believe (but can't ultimately prove)
that a significant number of people on this list work actively in heterogenous
networks.

VS