I did it just as you're proposing a few weeks ago. It took about 2 hours total on my
PIII 500, NOT including port upgrades (which incidentally took about 30 hours for
everything I have installed!).

Don't forget to run "mergemaster" at the end; I think there were some changes between
the two versions if memory serves me well...

Hope that helps,

VS