Louis LeBlanc wrote:
Now, I realize no one will want to make 'supported' or 'guaranteed'
recommendations, but I would certainly appreciate some pointers on
taking the above information and determining the ideal CPU options to
use in my kernel.  I looked at the handbook, and can't find any such
details or links.  My main goal is to find out what CPU features are
disabled through the kernel config, and enable them - particularly MMX
support.

You don't need to enable MMX in the kernel. Your mplayer had MMX on, the mplayerxp not I remember. Perhaps there is a switch for mplayerxp.

Features=0x183f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,MMX,FXSR> Does this specify just detection or kernel config?

I would call it detection.

Hendrik