On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hmm... funny, i have thought that inetd_enabled="YES" was default regardless
> if it's in rc.conf or not. Because even it it's not in rc.conf, you can
> still see it running when you ps -ax  (/usr/sbin/inetd -wW). I have my pop3
> (which requires editing the inetd.conf) working even if that line is not in
> my rc.conf.

THE Handbook -
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/inetd.html
- says:
        inetd is initialized through the /etc/rc.conf system. The
        inetd_enable option is set to ``NO'' by default, but is often
        times turned on by sysinstall with the medium security profile.
        Placing:

        inetd_enable="YES"

        or

        inetd_enable="NO"

        into /etc/rc.conf can enable or disable inetd starting at boot
        time.

But you are right, I could swear it was always turned by default.
Regards,

Uli.