Rather odd. I ONLY use 3c90x NICS on all my machines (FBSD 5.x included) and they work
great.

What output do you get from running /usr/sbin/ifconfig at the command prompt?

You didn't specify whether you were running the GENERIC kernel but I assume this is
so. When you installed (assuming you did so through CD-based sysinstall), did you by
chance skip the chance to set up network interfaces? If so you can either run
sysinstall again (don't need to reinstall the whole system, just choose to set up
networking from main menu) or you can do it manually by adding one of these to your
/etc/rc.conf:

if using dhcp:
        ifconfig_xl0="dhcp"

if using manual addressing:
        ifconfig_xl0="inet <your ip address> netmask <your netmask>"
        defaultrouter="<ip address of gateway>"

Hope this helps,

VS