----- Original Message -----
From: "Vincent Poy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mike Tancsa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2003 2:22 PM
Subject: Re: Ghost for FreeBSD

> cd /mnt/root
> /sbin/dump -L -f- /|restore -rf-
> cd /mnt/var
> /sbin/dump -L -f- /var|restore -rf-
> cd /mnt/usr
> /sbin/dump -L -f- /usr|restore -rf-

I have heard this before, but I never understand this part. :) How does
creating a /mnt/root directory, and restoring in that directory get my /
slice back? Then the restored data will just sit in /mnt/root! What good
does it there?

Or should I create /mnt/root as partition, about equal in size to the root
partition, and then restore therein, and do the old switcheroo in /etc/fstab
later, to make it the root partion?

I have successfully restored /var and /usr, on occasion; but that is rather
easy, as they can be unmounted. With the root partition, that is not
possible, of course. Short of having to switch cables on harddisks, is there
a software method that will allow me to restore/switch the root partion?

Thanks!

- Mark