On Wed, Sep 03, 2003 at 12:01:58PM -0400, Doug Love wrote:
> A friend recommends your OS over Linux for my home system.
> I've taken a 2 day Linux Admin course, and know just about that much.
> I don't see a quick answer on your webpages to my questions.
> Where can I find
>    Fortran

      f77 -- part of gcc, comes with the base system.

>     Basic

      Various ports:

         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/lang/bwbasic/pkg-descr
         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/lang/pbasic/pkg-descr
         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/lang/yabasic/pkg-descr

>     A Database similar to Access

      Well, there are a few to choose from in
      http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html.  The most popular are:

         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/databases/mysql40-server/pkg-descr
         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/databases/postgresql7/pkg-descr

      But those are full-featured RDBMSes, and probably a bit too
      heavyweight for your purposes.

         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/math/gnumeric2/pkg-descr
         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/editors/openoffice/pkg-descr

         http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/archivers/zip/pkg-descr

> I hear a lot about the system being a server, but all I need to do is
> browse the web and use email similar to Netscape.  How easy is it to set
> up?

In my opinion, not that hard at all.  Of course I've been using
FreeBSD day in, day out for many years so I would say that, wouldn't
I?  It will be a learning experience if you've never used a Unixoid
system before -- in which case, it would be a good idea to pick up one
of the many fine FreeBSD guide books of which a selection can be
found here:

    http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm/search?id=qoBA4QWC&mv_pc=6

Greg Lehey's "The Complete FreeBSD", 4th Ed. is I think the latest
available, but there are 3 or 4 alternatives covering similar ground,
such as "FreeBSD Unleashed" by Michael Urban or "Absolute BSD: The
Ultimate Guide to FreeBSD" by Michael Lucas.  Not forgetting the
Handbook, which is on-line at:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html

        Cheers,

        Matthew