Let me start by qualifying I am extremely new to FreeBSD (I have performed a
whopping two installs thus far).

I am looking to fire up a machine with a single western digital special
edition 80GB IDE drive for simple storage and testing.

The BIOS detects the correct geometry for the drive, and both Windows 2000
and Linux (RedHat 9) correctly detect the geometry and install on the drive
(each OS installed independently to verify the drive and BIOS were working -
this is not a multi-boot setup).

FreeBSD version 5.1 however, pops up a message stating the geometry chosen
by FreeBSD during installation is incorrect.

If I hit "G" when assigning the slices and drop in the correct geometry (as
reported by the BIOS), I can assign slices (defaults) and the installation
runs through, but it will fail on the next boot (won't even get to the boot
manager).

If I select "G" when assigning slices, plug in the values, then force a
write using the "W" option, I get a warning, then everything installs and
fails on reboot.

Note: This same machine will accept an installation and run beautifully
using a different hard drive (anything I have other than a Western Digital
80GB Special Edition), and I have tried two of the 80GB special edition
drives to ensure it is not a mechanical problem with just one of the drives.
Both of the special edition drives performed identically (which is to say
not at all).

Google is mute on the subject.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim