On Saturday 06 September 2003 06:42 am, Timur wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 01:14:12PM +0200, Hendrik Hasenbein wrote:
> > Timur wrote:
> > >Hi!
> > >
> > >I have integrated via82c686 soundcard..  I am new to freebsd (coming
> > >from linux), and wishing to use it instead windows at work.  The sound
> > >card in Windows XP is shown as AC97 codec, and works well.
> > >
> > >Unfortunately, I have no luck with making it work under freebsd.  What I
> > >am trying to do is to load via82c686 driver..  it loads, but the kernel
> > >does not writes any messages about detected card (it with CMI8xxx card
> > >at home)..
> >
> > I only added 'device pcm' to the kernel, so kldload pcm should work as
> > root.
> >
> > Hendrik
>
> What do you mean by adding 'device pcm' to kernel? I have a kernel that
> comes with 4.8-STABLE, i did not recompile it.
> grep pcm /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT shows two lines:
> device          pcm0 at isa? irq 10 drq 1 flags 0x0
> device          pcm

The line:  "device              pcm"
needs to be added to a new kernel configuration file.  The easiest way to do
this is to copy /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC to a new file.  Follow
directions at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig.html

I think the "pcm0" line is for ISA sound cards.

> I try to do 'kldload snd_pcm'.  Silence (the kernel is supposed to write
> something like PCM... on the first console, am I right?)
>
> mpg123 fails, says can't open /dev/dsp
>
> Also, I try to 'kldload snd_via82c686', no results..
>
> Timur.

Best of luck,

Andrew L. Gould