look in /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
by default is:

local   all         all                                             trust
host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust

what you have to do is to change trust into password or md5
hope that helps
alex
p.s. restart postgres after you change the conf file.