On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:49:51PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Dear Freebsd,
>

>    I have installed freebsd 4.4 (the ones that came with the manual.) I

Which manual is that? There's a paper version of the handbook, but that
doesn't come with a CD. I know that "FreeBSD Unleashed" comes with a
copy of 4.4, but that is not "the manual".

> got it all installed correctly but when i log in freebsd it leaves me
> at a dos like screen with a $. I want to know how to get a desktop
> working (the quickest way.) Thank you for your time.

If you haven't installed X-windows, install it. If you don't know how
to install it, su to root (type "su" at the $ prompt, and enter the root
password), and type "/stand/sysinstall". Follow the instructions. By
default, X-windows is installed with the twm window manager. At the "$"
prompt, type "startx".  That's the quickest route to a working desktop.

Bob Hall