I'm trying to figure out a decent partitioning layout for a workstation. The
system has an ~80GB disk. After /, /var, /tmp and swap, I have 70GB left.
I'm wondering how to split these between /usr and /home. Ironically, it is
more space than I seem to need. The box has only one user (me), I do not
have a fast enough connection to download large amounts audio or video
files. I plan to run the KDE3 desktop environment with most of its
applications (this is still well under 1.5GB), assorted other software,
Wine, two or three Windows apps if they'll run.

I'm torn between various options here, and would appreciate your input:

35GB for each, /usr and /home
25GB for /home and 45GB for /home
70GB for both together (no /home partition)

Or something completely different? I'd like this to be "spacey" enough so
that I won't run out of room at some point in the future, but 35GB for /usr
seems unrealistically much (there won't be mail on this system, it's fed by
an IMAP server on a different machine). Then again, 35GB for /home seems
just as unrealistically much.

Backup matters aside, is there a significant advantage of having a separate
/home partition at all? If not, just skipping /home and using 70GB for /usr
(including /usr/home) might be the most practical and flexible approach?

Thanks.