Lay Tay wrote:
[ ... ]
Everything worked fine except that I noticed ssh connection takes a very
long time.  When I use PUTTY or WinSCP on a windows machine to connect to
my internal machine, the authentication takes a very long time.  WinSCP
will alway timeout on the first try, when  I hit "retry", the
authentication goes through.

This does not happen if I insert a "pass everything" rule in ipfw.

Sounds a lot like a DNS timeout. I'm not sure your rules for port 53 are doing exactly the right thing; where does DNS traffic go when you do this SSH connection?

--
-Chuck