hi,

with respect to upgrading openssh on various boxes, i note that the advisory[0] details killing and restarting sshd in order to bring the new one into play.

the base sshd is dynamically linked against libssh, the version of which doesn't appear to change over the upgrade.

my question is this: does the rtld notice the change in library and reload it, or will it re-use the pre-upgrade one already in memory? the latter suggests only a reboot will bring the new library into play, especially if the work is being carried out over ssh, and so keeping an sshd in play at all times.

i can't see any stuff in the rtld-elf source to suggest that it'll notice a change in library files, but my understanding of the linker is pretty flimsy.

regards, l.

[0]
<ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-03:12.openssh.asc>

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       +44 020 8742 0755   http://www.aldigital.co.uk/
system administrivia         c6 h8 o7          http://www.thebunker.net/