On Wednesday, 17 September 2003 at 18:53:55 +0100, Lewis Thompson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to set up a large concatenated vinum volume.  I want a volume
> called ``data'' that is ~200GB in size.  Each subdisk is ~100GB (the
> same size).
>
>   However, when I mount it it only shows up as ~100GB.  Here is vinum
> list (edited to show the relevant details):
>
> purple# vinum list
> 2 drives:
> D vinum0                State: up       /dev/ad0s1h     A: 2/14998 MB (0%)
> D vinum1                State: up       /dev/ad2s1h     A: 2/14998 MB (0%)
>
> 10 volumes:
> V data                  State: up       Plexes:       1 Size:        199 GB

This looks like 200 GB to me, for small values of 200.

>   I'm hoping I've gotten the config right.  Also, I tried (while the
> volume was not mounted) newfs /dev/vinum/data and I received:
>
> purple# newfs /dev/vinum/data
> newfs: wtfs: 512 bytes at sector 418773125: Inappropriate ioctl for device

That's puzzling.  I've never seen this before.  What version of
FreeBSD are you using?  Try:

  ktrace -i newfs /dev/vinum/data

This will create a file ktrace.out.  Look at it with:

  kdump | less

Look for the message in the output (it'll be there) and show the ioctl
call immediately before (if it's there).  Also check if there's any
message in dmesg output or /var/log/messages.  Otherwise I have
alternative tricks up my sleeve.

Greg