On Thursday, Sep 18, 2003, at 23:57 US/Eastern, Shawn Guillemette wrote:

get the following error when trying to log in to mysql as root like so ..

# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

I'm issuing this command as root.

Also as root I have attempted to change the passwd..

# mysqladmin -u root password newpassword mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed

mysql version --> mysql-server-3.23.55 Multithreaded SQL database (server)

Also Looking for a good how-to on phpmyadmin..

I installed from the ports collection (phpMyAdmin-2.3.2) Just not sure what direction to head in now..

Thanks for your time..

Shawn

Shawn,
The user named root in MySQL is completely separate from your root user for your BSD installation. It initially has no password, so "mysql -u root" without the -p should work for you. I have always installed from source code builds, so I am not sure as to whether or not the port does this for you. Have you run the mysql_install_db script to initialize the databases in MySQL? If not, you could potentially be seeing a situation where the permission tables for the daemon are not available, so you are being rejected out-of-hand. I would try the "mysql -u root" first, if you have run the script (or if the port runs the script for you; regrettably I do not know if it does).

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed