Hello,

I saw some info about marking bad sectors on a hard disk at the address "http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-July/013737.html";

I believe that it is from your organization?

I'm having a bit of a problem with my hard disk, very much similar to the situation described by Mr. Andy Farkas. I was just wondering, may I ask for a little advice about something?

Mr. Farkas mentioned that after running various formatters and scanners, he identified where the bad
sectors were on the disk; what formatters or scanners can be used to do that?

Because I've used ScanDisk and Norton's Disk Doctor to scan my drive (20GB, 2 equal partitions: C & D). During scanning, C drive is fine, but D drive, everytime when I scanned, about halfway through, my PC would simply hang. The same thing happens for both software: ScanDisk and Disk Doctor.

I would be real appreciative to receive advice on possible solutions.

Regards,
Jen

The text below is the info I found on the Web: ****************************************************************** Andy Farkas andyf at speednet.com.au Thu Jul 24 16:31:13 PDT 2003

Like others have said, your disk is dying and is untrustworthy for holding critical data.

But no one has answered your question yet, so I will :)

I also have a 8gig drive with bad blocks on it. I only use it on a scratch
box for testing -current. I don't trust it at all, and will toss it in the
bin as soon as it plays up again.

After running various formatters and scanners, I identifyied where the bad
sectors were on the disk, around the 6gig mark on mine. The bad section
was about 20-30MB long.

Knowing this, I can now setup partitions around the bad bit. I created a
5.5 gig partition 1, a 1 gig partition 2 (the bad bits), and 1.5 gig
partition 3.

Hope that helps.