Enoch Chan wrote:

Error Message: "Fatal server error: xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O"

Release Date: 3 September 2002
    If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
    newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
    reporting problems. (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: FreeBSD5.0-RC i386 [ELF]

(WW) CheckDevMem: failed to open /dev/mem (Operation not permitted)
         linear framebuffer access unavailable

Fatal server error:
xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O

Check that your permissions are as follows:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [/] [8:49]
#ll /dev | grep io
crw------- 1 root wheel 2, 14 Sep 21 23:00 io
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [/] [8:49]
#ll /dev | grep kmem
crw-r----- 1 root kmem 2, 1 Sep 21 23:00 kmem
crw-r----- 1 root kmem 2, 0 Sep 21 23:00 mem

You experts probably wonder why I am using FreeBSD 5.0 instead of FreeBSD 5.1... That's because I am a newbie and I got a book that teaches me how to use FreeBSD 5.0. I prefer sticking to it and learn most of the stuff before I go on to a newer version.So if anyone knows what's going on, please reply! Thanks!!! :D

Have a nice day!!!

Enoch

Well, nothing's changed, except for some code streamlining
and possibly bug removal.  I'd skip to the chapter on
"cvsup" and forge ahead ... :-)

HTH, HAND,

Kevin Kinsey