On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:38:29 +0100, Matthew Seaman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

As a desktop user, you will need to install some sort of working
environment, plus any specific applications that you need.

By "working environment" I mean essentially an X window manager and
any supporting infrastructure that it requires.  This can vary from
the minimal (fluxbox, fvwm) to the gargantuan (kde, gnome).  See
http://www.xwinman.org/ for the definitive guide to X window managers.
Personally I like WindowMaker, a nice middleweight WM with a very
NeXT-like look'n'feel.

As a former NeXT'er myself, that will probably be the one I start with.

However, in order to install any of these software packages, the first
thing you will need is an understanding of the ports system and an
up-to-date ports tree.  Read the OnLamp articles by Dru Levign for the
former:

    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/07/FreeBSD_Basics.html
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/09/18/FreeBSD_Basics.html

thanks! more bed-time reading. (I brought _The Complete FreeBSD handbook_ with me on vacation several years ago, even without a computer with me. Yeah, my wife thinks I'm strange too.)

and a quick perusal of the sample supfiles in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup will pay dividends.

Many thanks to you & the others who replied.

TjL

-- Running 4.8-RELEASE on a Dell Inspiron 7500 Laptop Dual Boot Windows XP using GAG Now in progress: 30 Days to becoming an Opera7 Lover http://tntluoma.com/opera/lover/7/ _______________________________________________ [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/listinfo/freebsd-questions To unsubscribe, send any mail to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"