ivan georgiev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Thursday 25 September 2003 07:01 am, Warren Block wrote:
> > On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, ivan georgiev wrote:
> > > I am trying for first time to burn a CD under freebsd. I have read the
> > > man page for burncd, but I do not have /dev/acd0c created (only /dev/acd0
> > > is there).Is this a problem or not?
> >
> > It could be--in /dev with FreeBSD 4.8, I see acd0a, acd0c, acd1a and
> > acd1c.  This is probably different under 5.x.
> >
> > > Also, cdrecord -scanbus doesn't show anything...
> >
> > cdrecord is for SCSI, or if you are using atapicam to emulate SCSI with
> > IDE devices.
>
> Thanks Warren,
>
> But as I said, there is only acd0 in /dev. No /dev/acd0c is created (I use
> 5.1-current).

It should be.  Check to see if it's being detected at boot.
If you're having problems with -CURRENT, though, you really need to
use its mailing list to get help.  You really should be reading the
list if you're going to run -CURRENT anyway.  Admittedly, it's a lot
of mail, but that's just part of running the latest development code.

> Do I have to emulate SCSI in order to use the CD writer?

No.  In fact, SCSI emulation almost certainly won't detect the device
either if direct ATAPI support doesn't.