Nathan Kinkade wrote:

I recently upgraded my system from 4.8-STABLE to 5.1-RELEASE.  I haven't
had any problems except with XMMS.  Randomly XMMS will fail after it
finishes playing a song and before it has started the next - the error
dialog says "Couldn't open audio" in the title bar.  The message that
shows up on the console is:

** WARNING **: oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp):
Operation not supported by device

If I repeatedly hit the play button it will eventually play the next
song.  Sometimes it will play 4 or 5 songs consecutively without a
problem, and other times the problem arises after each song.  I have
tried deinstalling XMMS and then recompiling, but still nothing.  I have
also tried `fstat | grep dsp', but nothing appears to be using the
/dev/dsp.  Does anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

Thanks,
Nathan

As bad as I feel for you, I am so glad someone else is having this problems with 5.1. Every time I see a sound error (quite often), I want to stomp the shit out of my computer.

Ok, frustration aside, I am getting the exact same error as you with xmms at the same times (after the completion of a song). I don't know what hardware you are running, but I have an Asus A7N8X with onboard sound using the pcm sound driver. The sound problems also crop up with mplayer, sometimes at the beginning of a movie, but also when I pause and unpause. Snes9x has issues as well with the sound stopping and being unable to restart as such:

GSnes9x-WARNING **: A error has ocurred when tried to resume Esound.

Note that the gui is just redisplaying the error the snes9x core gives.

I'm sure this is a bug in 5.1, but I haven't collected enough information to approach a developer even if I knew who to approach. Actually, I don't really have a method for collecting information either; I was just hoping to send someone all the error messages I receive and then do what they need to solve the problem.

This is a serious issue for me so if you need, I will be more than willing to help out in any way I can.

Nick