Ekrem wrote:
On Mon, 2003-09-29 at 02:00, Rus Foster wrote:

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Ekrem wrote:

Hi people,

I'm using FreeBSD on my standalone desktop PC. I use dialup for the
internet and use Evolution as the email client, but the following 2
processes always running;

sendmail: accepting connections (sendmail)
sendmail: Queue [EMAIL PROTECTED]:30:00 for /var/spool/clientmqueue (sendmail)

Do they need to be running for things like daily/weekly cron jobs that
send emails to root, or for any other purpose?

No if you aren't using SMTP to receive email from outside your can disable these by putting sendmail_enable="no" in /etc/rc.conf then just kill of the processes

Rus

Thanks for your reply.

Actually, I am retrieving my emails from my ISP's SMTP server but I know
I don't need to run sendmail to retrieve them. I did kill those 2
processes. I'm just too sure if it will have some impact on email
notifications.

Interestingly, I do have sendmail_enable="NO" in my /etc/rc.conf file,
yet sendmail continues to automatically start whenever I reboot.

I might have to go learn more about auto-start processes.

To completely disable sendmail in #/etc/rc.conf use sendmail_enable="none"

Sendmail is used as the default mailer for cron. This only works if an email address is mapped to root in #/etc/aliases.

-Ryan