Change this in /etc/ttys file - reboot, live happy.

ttyv8  "/usr/local/bin/kdm"            xterm   on  secure

Any script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ gets started at boot time. A script
usaly has a "echo -n 'script name'" that print a message at boot time.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/