I'm a Unix newbie who just installed BSD 5.1.  I made it through the
installation without too much of a hassel and I went ahead and added
XFree86 in the installation, along with the BSD Boot Manager since I'm
dual booting with Windows.  I have a 40 gig HD for Windows then I have 2
separate 120 gig HD raided in 0 config for BSD.  The boot manager is
installed with the rest of BSD on the raid but when it loads and I go to
pick, both options boot to BSD.  F1 is labeled FreeBSD and F5 is labeled
Drive 1, which I was under the illusion should be windows but it turns
out its not.
[snip]

When you installed XFree86, did you also install a desktop manager? You can install X without a window manager....