This is most easily done in the bios. Check for power settings or energy saver features. You can tell the bios to power down the hard drive after 1 min or an hour later. In your case I would set it to 1 min, so about 1 min after you boot and login the hard drive will power down, unless you touch the mouse or keyboard.

Constantine wrote:

Hello,

My hard disc drive seems to be too noisy for me. I want to test, how much idle noise would the system make with the hard drive turned off. I do not want to unplug the wires, since I have had a lot of problems last time I did that. Is there any command / utility that can turn my HDD off for a minute or so?

Are there any other utility that may help me reduce the noise in my system?

Right now I have IBM Deskstar 60GXP 41.0GB IC35L040AVER07-0, and I am considering to change it to IBM (Hitachi) Deskstar 180GXP 60GB IC35L060AVV207-0, or may be even Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 80GB HDS722580VLAT20. Have anyone experienced any of those? Are they any different in the idle noise they produce?

My motherboard is AOpen AX4G-N Intel 845G(+ICH4) chipset.

Cheers,
Constantine.