The file is missing. Now the question is why was it? I used cvsup to reteive the source. It is was missing from a clean arcive. I am including the supfile and the reject file. Any ideas

src-supfile
# $FreeBSD: src/share/examples/cvsup/stable-supfile,v 1.26 2002/07/30 14:08:16 blackend Exp $
#
# This file contains all of the "CVSup collections" that make up the
# FreeBSD-stable source tree.
#
# CVSup (CVS Update Protocol) allows you to download the latest CVS
# tree (or any branch of development therefrom) to your system easily
# and efficiently (far more so than with sup, which CVSup is aimed
# at replacing). If you're running CVSup interactively, and are
# currently using an X display server, you should run CVSup as follows
# to keep your CVS tree up-to-date:
#
# cvsup stable-supfile
#
# If not running X, or invoking cvsup from a non-interactive script, then
# run it as follows:
#
# cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile
#
# You may wish to change some of the settings in this file to better
# suit your system:
#
# host=CHANGE_THIS.FreeBSD.org
# This specifies the server host which will supply the
# file updates. You must change it to one of the CVSup
# mirror sites listed in the FreeBSD Handbook at
# http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
# You can override this setting on the command line
# with cvsup's "-h host" option.
#
# base=/usr
# This specifies the root where CVSup will store information
# about the collections you have transferred to your system.
# A setting of "/usr" will generate this information in
# /usr/sup. Even if you are CVSupping a large number of
# collections, you will be hard pressed to generate more than
# ~1MB of data in this directory. You can override the
# "base" setting on the command line with cvsup's "-b base"
# option. This directory must exist in order to run CVSup.
#
# prefix=/usr
# This specifies where to place the requested files. A
# setting of "/usr" will place all of the files requested
# in "/usr/src" (e.g., "/usr/src/bin", "/usr/src/lib").
# The prefix directory must exist in order to run CVSup.
#
#
# DANGER! WARNING! LOOK OUT! VORSICHT!
#
# If you add any of the ports or doc collections to this file, be sure to
# specify them with a "tag" value set to ".", like this:
#
# ports-all tag=.
# doc-all tag=.
#
# If you leave out the "tag=." portion, CVSup will delete all of
# the files in your ports or doc tree. That is because the ports and doc
# collections do not use the same tags as the main part of the FreeBSD
# source tree.
#

# Defaults that apply to all the collections
#
# IMPORTANT: Change the next line to use one of the CVSup mirror sites
# listed at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html.
*default host=cvsup4.FreeBSD.org
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default prefix=/usr
# The following line is for 4-stable. If you want 3-stable or 2.2- stable,
# change "RELENG_4" to "RELENG_3" or "RELENG_2_2" respectively.
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_1
*default delete use-rel-suffix

# If your network link is a T1 or faster, comment out the following line.
*default compress

## Main Source Tree.
#
# The easiest way to get the main source tree is to use the "src-all"
# mega-collection. It includes all of the individual "src-*" collections.
# Please note: If you want to track -STABLE, leave this uncommented.
src-all

# These are the individual collections that make up "src-all".  If you
# use these, be sure to comment out "src-all" above.
#src-base
#src-bin
#src-contrib
#src-etc
#src-games
#src-gnu
#src-include
#src-kerberos5
#src-kerberosIV
#src-lib
#src-libexec
#src-release
#src-sbin
#src-share
#src-sys
#src-tools
#src-usrbin
#src-usrsbin
# These are the individual collections that make up FreeBSD's crypto
# collection. They are no longer export-restricted and are a part of
# src-all
#src-crypto
#src-eBones
#src-secure
#src-sys-crypto

refuse
src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc*
doc/da_*
doc/de_*
doc/es_*
doc/el_*
doc/fr_*
doc/it_*
doc/ja_*
doc/nl_*
doc/no_*
doc/pl_*
doc/pt_*
doc/ru_*
doc/sr_*
doc/zh_*
ports/chinese
ports/french
ports/german
ports/hebrew
ports/hungarian
ports/japanese
ports/korean
ports/portuguese
ports/russian
ports/ukrainian
ports/vietnamese

On 10/06/03 02:50:38, Matthew Seaman wrote:
On Sun, Oct 05, 2003 at 03:51:12PM -0700, James Jacobsen wrote:
> Here is the /etc/make.conf.
>
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Tue Aug 26 09:51:56 2003
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.6.1
> PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
> XFREE86_VERSION=4
> # -- use.perl generated deltas -- #
> # Created: Sun Oct 5 15:25:52 2003
> # Setting to use base perl from ports:
> PERL_VER=5.6.1
> PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
> PERL_ARCH=mach
> NOPERL=yo
> NO_PERL=yo
> NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo
>
> Also the file /etc/defaults/make.conf does not exist, never did. It
is
> how ever mentioned in handbook.

If you're on 5.x then the default make.conf file has moved to
/usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf -- it was moved because unlike the
other files in /etc/defaults, /etc/defaults/make.conf didn't actually
set any defaults. Essentially the default state for /etc/make.conf is
obtained using an empty file. /usr/share/examples/etc/make.conf has
no active effect during the build{world,kernel} process, and only
serves to illustrate the sorts of thing you can set in that file.

The problem that you're seeing with make being unable to find
freebsd.mc probably means that you are missing
/usr/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc. This file is definitely present in
the FreeBSD CVS repository and a version is clearly tagged as
belonging to the RELENG_5_1 branch:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc?only_with_tag=RELENG_5_1

This suggests that something went wrong when you tried running
cvsup(1) -- double check your supfile and try re-running cvsup (You
wrote 'releng_5_1' in your message: this won't work in a supfile,
since the tag is case sensitive and has to be given precisely as
'RELENG_5_1').  There should not be any error messages emitted during
the cvsup(1) run.

Cheers,

Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Bucks., SL7 1TH
UK