David Bear wrote:
I'm still trying to muddle through the loads of different ways to keep
FreeBSD 'current' -- meaning, safely patched, aka RELENG_5_1 (for me)

As I conceptualize the operations there are two levels of 'patching',
1) the kernel and base system 2) then all the ports that I may have installed

I've read the cvsup docs and can see how to update both the kernel
source and ports.  But the problem I see is the ports.  After the
ports collection has cvsupdated, I would still need to do a make
install for each port I have previous installed, correct?  (or, more
appropriately, make deinstall, the cvsup the ports, then make install)
Is this making things more difficult?  Seems there really should be a
cleaner way to keep things updated.

I've heard reference to a portupgrade package, but can't find any
details on how and what it really does-- and how well it plays with
cvsupdate.

The other rotten thing here is that cvsupdate requires modula-3 -- and
portupgrade requires ruby...  It would really be nice if all this were
done in the most perfect language, python;-)

looking for some advice.. thx.

cvsup and portupgrade do different things.

Cvsup will keep your copy of a particular source trees (/usr/src, /usr/port, etc.) up-to-date with the current sources in the CVS repository. Actually, cvsup can track the sources along any CVS branch point or by date. There is usually a pre-built binary package for cvsup, so you don't generally need to build it from source (or build the modula3 package). Just get it from the FreeBSD ftp site and use pkg_add to add the binary package.

But once you've got the updated sources, you need to update your machine. For /usr/src, you have to follow the procedures to "build the world" Check the handbook for this.

For /usr/port, you can update manually (pkg_delete the old version and make install the new version) or use portupgrade.

To get started with portupgrade, just do:

    cd /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade
    make install clean
    rehash              # if you are using csh or tcsh
    pkgdb -F
    portsdb -Uu

If you want to see the ports that are available for updating, use the command "portversion".

You will need to re-run "portsdb -Uu" every time you update the ports source tree using cvsup.

Richard Coleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]