On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 22:16:42 -0700, David Bear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I don't understand a thing it does.. but I put it in my home directory
anyway and called it .forward.

It appears the procmail is no 'firing' when message come.  Looking for
any pointers?  been through to procmail faq sites and thought there
might be a recommendation here.

Do you have a ~/.procmailrc file? If so, what is it?

contents of .forward
"|IFS=' ' && p=/usr/local/bin/procmail && test -f $p && exec $p -Yf-
|| exit 75 #Metropolis"

'Metropolis' is the name of the account. Any pointers?

Is procmail installed at /usr/local/bin/procmail? (Sorry had to ask)

If so, then you need a .procmailrc file.

It can be as simple as this:

# Edit as appropriate
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin
SHELL=/bin/sh
# DIRECTORY where you want to store mail
# MAKE SURE IT EXISTS
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
LOGFILE=$HOME/.procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes # Change to 'no' once you have it working
LOGABSTRACT=all

:0c:
Backups

# EOF

All that will do is make a backup COPY (hence the ":0c:") of all your incoming mail. It's an easy way to test to make sure procmail is working... that, and see if there is anything in the log file.

TjL

ps - nothing really FBSD-specific here, so you might want to checkout the super-handy procmail list: http://www.procmail.org/era/lists.html

--
FBSD 4.9 on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop