On 10/10/03 12:23 AM, Malcolm Kay sat at the `puter and typed:
> I'm using fetchmail to retrieve email from my isp, and getting the
> following message in /var/log/maillog repeated at about the fetchmail
> polling rate:
>
> Oct  9 00:00:01 beta sm-mta[5995]: h98EU11h005995: Syntax error in mailbox address
> "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (non-printable character)
> Oct  9 00:00:01 beta sm-mta[5995]: h98EU11h005995: from=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, size=0,
> class=0, nrcpts=0, proto=SMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost.home [127.0.0.1]
>
> I haven't been able to find the source of the reference:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'll bet it has to do with the return address of a spam message that
was sent you.  I've seen fetchmail refuse to fetch a number of
messages because the return address would not resolve, but it seems
you've got one with an unprintable character in the address.

When this happens, I usually break down and connect with Netscape to
delete the message.  I've never gotten around to figuring out how to
tell fetchmail to just shut up and flush the message, whether it
fetches it or not.

HTH
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Solutions are obvious if one only has the optical power to observe them
over the horizon.
    -- K.A. Arsdall