There is a page on the freebsd website describing work on a PowerPC version, but it says they are almost ready to boot into Single user mood.. another words.. not done. It mentions that some of the code is in current, but doesn't really explain how you'd load it onto a mac, etc.

Darwin has packages, but not a ports system from what i've read. You might as well use Mac OS X if you are going to use darwin since there is fink, and you get Java in OSX.

I ran NetBSD on a sparc for some time. Its nice. I'm sure the PowerPC version is good as well.

If I were you, I'd just pre-order Mac OS 10.3 and run that. You can't beat commercial apps and open source! At least X86 BSD users can usually run Linux software including games like Quake, etc.