On Saturday 11 October 2003 01:01 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I recently installed 5.1 release in a box that has a Creative Labs
> model # CT4810 soundcard.  I believe this card is sold as Sound
> Blaster PCI, which is supported according to the pcm(4) man page.
> The following line is from dmesg output:
> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 9.0 (no driver attached)
>
> What does this mean, how can I configure it?  Detailed instructions
> would be really appreciated.  Thanks in advance...

Its way too early to start building kernels to shoot for the proper
drivers for your sound card. Use the KLD modules first to figure out
what is needed, its much faster. Almost instant. Then rather than build
the drivers into the kernel you might elect to load the modules
automatically at boot.

% su
# kldload snd_driver

See if your sound card now works. Easy test is to type "mixer", if it
doesn't complain then a driver was found. "Snd_driver" loads every
sound driver, which "works" but is a bit excessive. We don't care about
being excessive and wasteful when trying to get things working the
first time but I don't think you want to use snd_driver all the time.

If you get the card working with snd_driver (as I expect you will) then
study /var/log/messages and dmesg(8) for hints as to what driver found
hardware it liked. Then try to associate that with the modules listed
with kldstat(8). Can use "kldunload snd_driver" to remove everything.
Verify mixer(8) no longer works. Then use kldload(8) to install the
module you think is needed. Verify with mixer(8).

For me, snd_es137x is correct. Placed this line in /boot/loader.conf to
load it (early) at boot:

snd_es137x_load="YES"

snd_es137x depends on snd_pcm and will automatically pull it in too.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]