On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 07:41:04AM -0400, nw1 wrote:
> Neither mouse will work in the console or in XFree86.
>
> Gigabyte GA-6BXDS = main board
> BIOS= AWARD (2A69KG01) ver. 4.51PG
>
> In the PCI/ISA section of the BIOS, a USB setting of: "Assign IRQ For USB: Enabled"
> (is
> set)
> There is also a "USB Keyboard Support" setting within the BIOS's  "INTERGRATED
> PEROPHERALS" section; I have tried this setting to both "Enabled and Disabled".
>
> There aren't any other USB settings in this BIOS.
>
> We are using these devices that are known working devices.
> Mouse-1 is: Logitech | model: M-BD58 | optical corded wheel
> Mouse-2 is: Logitech | model: M-RM67A | Optical cordless wheel

The models doesn't tell me much. I have a optical cordless wheel mouse
from logitech and this work fine here. The USB plugin should work but I
didn't try it here. I did try USB on a mouse much like you type 1.

> Our Kernel:
> # USB support
> device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
> device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
> device          ums             # Mouse
> pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support

Instead of using your own kernel, try using the GENERIC kernel instead
for the test.

> Our /etc/rc.conf:
> # grep -i mouse /etc/rc.conf
> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_port="/dev/ums0"

You could try to add this:
moused_type="auto" (you may have to specify the type for USB)

> # grep -i usb /etc/rc.conf
> usbd_enable="YES"
>
> Our /dev:
> ls -l /dev | grep -i ums
> crw-rw----   1 root   operator  111,   0 Sep 27 13:16 ums0
>
> dmesg reports:
> # dmesg | grep -i usb
> uhci0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> port 0xa000-0xa01f irq 10 at device
> 7.2
> on pci0
> usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
> usb0: USB revision 1.0
> ums0: Logitech USB Mouse, rev 1.10/6.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
>
> Upon booting into the OS, using the above BIOS, and other settings --with either of
> the
> above devices; the mouse is seen on screen, but it refuse to respond while moving the
> hand-held device.  Should we unplug one mouse (from either usb port) to test the
> other
> mouse, we receive the following on-screen message(s), respectively of the
> motherboards USB
> port we were using:
>
> uhub0: device problem, disabling port 2
> uhub0: device problem, disabling port 1
>
> When we plug the devices back in to either of the motherboards mouse ports, there's
> no
> indication at all, from the OS, that a USB device was attached.
>
> Reminder: these devices are in perfect working order.

I can't give you a comment on this. It look ok.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/