Yes I did copy factory-gdm.conf over the current gdm.conf. Same problem.

Thank you

On Mon, 2003-10-13 at 09:06, Monah Baki wrote:
Hi all,

I upgraded my freebsd 5.1 ports tree, so I can install gnome 2.4. When everything was
installed,
I tried running as root gdm, I got the following error:

gdm_cleanup_children: Slave crashed, killing its children.

This happens when X is about to start the login screen, flickers and drops to a shell
and gives
this error. This happens for 8 times, then this remark:

The display server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds, it is
likely that
something bad is going on. I will wait for 2 minutes before trying to login again on
display :0.

I also patched the following

http://people.freebsd.org/~marcus/pam_get_user.c.diff

Did you also copy the factory-gdm.conf over the current gdm.conf?

Joe

By default, I setup the system to run wmaker, so if I type startx, I can get in no
problem.

Thank you