Anthony Carmody <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Running FreeBSD 5.1 on an Intel D45PESV mainboard. [onboard sound AC97
> AC1981B]

Sounds fine.  It's a "technology preview" release, remember, but it
should be pretty solid for your purposes.

> i have no sound and i cannot browse my network machines in
> gnome. Everything seems to work just fine, just that i get an error
> upon starting gnome [something about the mixer] and when i go to add a
> network server i get nothing. I have noticed that logged in as 'root'
> i can see them, just not connect.
>
> i have no idea about testing sound outside of a GUI so i dont know
> about it being Gnome related...

Okay.  These two problems are completely unrelated, and would be
easier to treat if you'd posted them as different messages.

For sound, please see the section in the FreeBSD handbook that talks
about the subject.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

For "browsing" your network, it depends what you're talking about.
Different protocols tend to use different applications, and you didn't
even mention whether you're using Microsoft protocols or standard ones.