First off, I'm somewhat of a newbie; sorry if this is daft...

I have been trying to get gtk-gnutella cvs to compile
with some new (internationalization) functions, using
ICU. Neither of the versions currently in ports
(devel/icu & devel/icu2) work; version 2.6.1 passes
configure tests for gtk-g, but produces a non-working
executable.

The best indicator I can seem to find of the error is
messages I get from the compiler (or linker) when
icu is compiled. These are as follows:

/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! encrypt(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: tmpnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: this program uses f_prealloc(), which is not recommended.
/usr/lib/libc.so: WARNING! des_cipher(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc.so: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

I would like to just assume that icu is broken for this
platform, but it passes it's check suite perfectly.
Also, I've had a ton of programs give such errors and
work fine. (I also assume it works for others.)

The exact problem might be better pointed out by
messages I get while compiling gtk-g. These are
as follows:

/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: WARNING! setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: warning: this program uses gets(), which is unsafe.
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: warning: mktemp() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: WARNING! des_setkey(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: WARNING! encrypt(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: warning: tmpnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: warning: this program uses f_prealloc(), which is not recommended.
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: WARNING! des_cipher(3) not present in the system!
/usr/lib/libc_r.so.4: warning: tempnam() possibly used unsafely; consider using mkstemp()

I'm working on this because I intend to update the
gtk-gnutella port and would like to see this work for
other people. I'd also be willing to update the icu2
port, if I can figure out what the issue is.

I was thinking to mention some specifics about my
platform, but can't think of much that would be of use,
except that it is STABLE running SMP, as I think
this is probably thread related. If you want to know
more, just ask.

Any help is appreciated,
Clayton