On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 14:55:41 -0400, "Jesse Guardiani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> dick hoogendijk wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:23:44 +0000
> > Matthew Faircliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> I never thought I would see the day, but now I can open Excel and Word
> >> docs in FreeBSD no problem! And its fast!
> >>
> >> I'm trashing my Windows partition tonight! Viva BSD!
> >
> > Why didn't you just get the FreeBSD precompiled packages for OO-1.1 ??
>
> ?? Where/How would I get that?
>
> I'd love to get 1.1 installed on my FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE machine, but
> I don't want to cvsup my ports tree because then I wouldn't be able to
> install packages. I'd have to build everything from source.
>
> Maybe I just don't understand how to use the ports tree 100% yet...

If you cvsup the ports tree, you can choose to install from either ports
or packages.

Ports are just a very easy automated/scripted way to compile an
application from source on your machine, rather than use a package that
has been pre-compiled.

Jud