Thanks to all that replied. After trying all the suggestions (except the
reinstall I was saving for last) I found I must have deleted the majordomo
user during an upgrade.

I hope this post might save someone an equal amount of trouble. I still am
not thinking in unix so the pointers and things to try from this list are
invaluable.