Tim,
I usually add "-h" to /boot.config and edit the "ttyd0" line in /etc/ttys to look something like:
ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600" vt100 on secure

   Also see the FreeBSD handbook entry on this subject:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/serialconsole-setup.html

--
Brendan Kelliher

Tim Hogan wrote:

I have installed FreeBSD v4.8 on an Intel system that had a monitor and a keyboard attached at the time of install. I would now like to remove the monitor and keyboard and have a headless unit however I can't seem to make the serial port work as a console. Can't someone direct me to where to go to solve this problem?

Thanks
Tim