I've got two very similar systems, the one in question -

FreeBSD janis 4.8-RELEASE-p13 FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE-p13 #0:
Thu Oct 16 09:58:29 CDT 2003
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386

I can't seem to get log_in_vain to work.  I've added log_in_vain="YES"
to rc.conf.  I went so far as to reboot the computer but attempts aren't
logged.  I ran the following two commands -

# sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.log_in_vain=1
# sysctl -w net.inet.udp.log_in_vain=1

and restarted syslogd.  Still no joy.  A "telnet janis 21" should
activate this directive but it does not.  It does on my other FreeBSD
system.  What am I missing in order to get this to work?
Thanks,
Kent

--
"I am always doing that which I can not do,
   in order that I may learn how to do it." --Pablo Picasso