first make sure the pkgdb is ok and in sync with the port tree with pkgdb -F.

I use pkg_deinstall (comes with portupgrade) to do that kind of thing.
Use option -R and -r to sweep up and down in the depency tree with the -c option that checks wether a package's files have been overwritten by another's. In that case, it aborts. You can then investigate, deinstall the cuprit, continue, then maybe after that reinstall it. Most important, always use -n and maybe -v to know what will happen without actually touching anything.

This is the most powerfull way I know to _really_ clean things without breaking things, as it is always a possible a package overwrote another's files. Ports, correctedness and stability made me switch over from linux, portupgrade and pkg_deinstall make me stay.

Raphaël