Heinrich Rebehn wrote:

Yes. Although it does not provide automatic mounting upon insertion of the disk (like windows does), it would be a solution.
Unfortunately "man amd" does not say anything about the format of the map for a local device and i was unable to find anything in /usr/share/examples. Can anyone give me an example?

This article provides a tutorial for adding this functionality using amd. It may be a little out-of-date, but it has worked for me in the past.

http://www.daemonnews.org/200202/automounting.html

This solution mounts the media on access, and unmounts it on quiescence. Not exactly "like windows does", but still useful.

Hope this helps.

~brian