I'm upgrading from 4.7 RELEASE to 4.8 RELEASE soon. My understanding is that once you have built the world with buildworld, it's time to build and install the new kernel.

My current kernel is customized with a sound card device and nothing else.

The FreeBSD Handbook indicates that the safest way to do this is to build and install a kernel based on GENERIC. After booting from GENERIC and verifying that your system works you can then customize your kernel.

Can I use the commands, # make buildkernel and # make installkernel, or are #make buildkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC and # make installkernel KERNCONF=GENERIC the correct commands?

Thank you, Bob