On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 08:07:22PM +0000, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 10:56:25AM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >     Wasn't there/isn't there a remote sync utility that you
> >     could use without ssh.  You had, perhaps optionally, a list
> >     of directories (andor files) and the utility copied
> >     only changed files from machine A to :B?  I use ssh,
> >     and have a pretty good firewall set up on my DNS server.
> >     Just wondering if some of this isn't overkill... and
> >     trying to remember the utility.  Was it rsync  after all?
>
> rsync(1), rdist(1), even tar(1) all can be used with alternatives to
> ssh in order to copy files to a remote machine.  The question is "why
> would you want to?"
>
> Basically, if you aren't using ssh(1), then you're using rsh(1) which
> is an archaic protocol; a security incident waiting to happen and
> something you don't admit to using in polite company.  I could mention
> rexec here, but this is a family mailing list and inappropriate for
> the sort of invective I would feel obliged to heap upon it.
>
> ssh(1) is only overkill until you realise exactly what you are laying
> yourself open to by not using it.  Even inside a protected network,
> get into the habit of using it: it doesn't take much to accidentally
> end up using an inferior, insecure alternative to external
> destinations.  Plus ssh(1) has other advantages like correctly
> returning the exit status of remote commands, being able to use key
> based authentication, X11 display forwarding and ssh-agent forwarding.

        It was rdist, thanks, Matthew; the name is somehow less
        than adaquate, I think.  At any rate, years ago I had rdist
        neatly set up with an [easily] modifyable distfile and
        backed up one system to another.  This, along with a nightly
        tape backup, meant that it would take a great deal of
        bad-luck to lose myimportant files.

        I do have my internal systems rigged with ssh.  It would be
        nice if rdist has a -f switch or could otherwise take imput
        from a file.  I need to man -t rdist and find a quiet corner... .

        gary

--
   Gary Kline     [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.thought.org     Public service Unix