----- Original Message -----
From: "David Carter-Hitchin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Drew Tomlinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "FreeBSD Questions" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 5:55 PM
Subject: Re: Help With 'find' Syntax

> Hi Drew,
>
> This should find all files created or modified on 25th October:
>
> find / -mtime 6 -ls -o -ctime 6 -ls
>
> (As today is 31st October which is 6 days after 25th.  You may need to
> widen your search a little with a seperate search with 7 as the paramter
> as 6 may not catch files that were created over 6 * 24 hours ago (but were
> still on the 25th); not sure about that).

Thank you for your reply.  I tried your suggestion and it seems to get what
I want.  However there are so many little files that I thought I'd modify
the command to:

find /usr \( -mtime 6 -ls -size 100 \) -o \( -ctime 6 -ls -size 100
\) -print

If I understand the '-size' primary correctly, this means I would find files
that are '100 512-byte blocks' in size or '50k'.  Yet I still get output
like this:

762155    2 -r--r--r--    1 root             wheel                 928 Oct
25 15:12 /usr/local/man/man3/pcre_compile.3.gz

762155    2 -r--r--r--    1 root             wheel                 928 Oct
25 15:12 /usr/local/man/man3/pcre_compile.3.gz

(And why is this file listed twice, anyway?)  So I guess my question is "how
can I find files created or modified on Oct. 25 and are larger than <size>?"

Thanks for any help.  This is really confusing to me.

Drew

> HTH,
> David
>
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>
> > On October 25, my /usr partition lost nearly 50% of it's available
space.
> > This disk hasn't had any significant size changes since I built the
system
> > as it basically serves as a gateway.
> >
> > I'm trying to use the find command to determine what may have been
written
> > to the disk but am not having any luck.  I see primaries such
> > as -atime, -mtime, -ctime, and -newer and have read the man pages but do
not
> > understand what the best combination to find those files.  Basically how
do
> > I use 'find' to show me all file that were created or modified on
October
> > 25?  I've tried commands such as "find /usr \( -newerct 4d \! -newerct
3d
> > \) -print" but nothing is returned.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Drew