On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 08:20:48PM -0500, Chris Hill wrote:
> I'm trying to set up an internal machine to serve all my web sites. I
> have one routable IP and a slew of inside machines on 192.168.1.*, one
> of which is to be the web server.
>
> My gateway machine (running the ipfw in question) is an ancient FreeBSD
> running ipfw and natd:
>
> # uname -a
> FreeBSD mail.monochrome.org 3.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: (etc...)

Considered updating?  I am fairly sure there are a number of bugs and
security problems that have been fixed since 3.3 came out.

> I'm trying to set up a rule under ipfw which will send all requests for
> port 80 to the internal machine. The web server's name is faro and its
> internal IP is defined in /etc/hosts all over my LAN. I've tried a bunch
> of different ipfw commands in /etc/rc.firewall, such as

Take a look at the '-redirect_port' option to natd(8).  I believe it
does exactly what you want.  Let natd handle the redirection rather
than ipfw.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson