Desmond Coughlan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote ...
>
> { snip }

> >> No way.
>
> > Suit yourself, it's your system!
>
> Speaking hypothetically ... is it possible to upgrade to 5.1 without hosing
> my system ?

*Hypothetically*, sure.

But for a guy who just admitted that he doesn't know how his system
tar got replaced with something else, without any idea how, I'd say
problems are likely.  On the other hand, if you really have some rogue
executable in place of your system tar, you would probably be better
off wiping the disk and starting from scratch anyway.