To: "Rob Evers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 9:55 AM
Subject: Re: creating a small FreeBSD box

+++ Rob Evers [freebsd] [05-11-03 12:42 +0100]:
| Hi all,
|
| I need to make a few FreeBSD boxes, these will all be limited in disk
| space,
| and act as firewall/router. (pentium and 300M disk)
| What I want is a limited operating system that has only the essential
| networking stuff, shell, and a custom kernel but for example no BIND and
| CVS.
| In the end all machines should have the same OS installed.
|
| What's a good way to handle this?
| Making a custom release, an install script, tweaking make.conf and
| install from
| source or of course something else. (I don't need a ready solution, but

some

| insight in how to acomplish this task in an efficient manner.)
|
| Thanks
|
| Rob Evers

man picobsd

Regards,
Shantanoo

"[EMAIL PROTECTED]"

FWIW, solid state disks can definitely be pretty slick- was working on a hardware project at a company years ago and testing different hardware configurations, RAID stripe and segment sizes, differences in cache size, etc etc, and we saw some pretty decent speed gains in playing around with solid state disks. At the time, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 10k for ONE drive, but with the dot-com bust and for a smaller disk, there may be some good deals to be had on solid state < 1GB disks (eBay?) Anyone price those used lately or have any longevity concerns? (Never did run one for more than a month or two, but it SHOULD be more reliable than physical platters...)

Scott