I posted about this a while ago.

For some time, I've had a broken manpage system on my FreeBSB box. Currently, it's at FreeBSD-4.9.

The symptoms are: sometimes I get an error about not being able to locate tmac for tty-char. Though I can find that in /usr/local/share/groff, etc. Most times, I will do "man command" and the prompt just returns. Nothing, nada.

I'm absolutely puzzled, because a reinstall (makeworld/buildworld) does NOT resolve the problem. I cannot see there to be any odd environment variables, however this suggests there may be a configuration issue "somewhere". I'm out of ideas, and wonder if anyone out there has suggestions about where to look, how to fix this.

Thanks, Forrest