I just downloaded the iso images for version 5.1 from the ftp site and started a new installation. The md5sum checked out ok on the image and the cd burned fine under WinXP. I was forced to install only the minimum installation, though, since larger installations had really slow transfer rates, under 10K/sec, until finally the installation would freeze. Later I tried using sysintall to install some of the additional packages. Here is the error I received when attempting to install XFree86:

cd0: READ_BIG - Medium Error asc=0x11 ascq=0x05 error 0x00
cd0: READ_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices
acd0: timeout waiting for cmd=ef s=d8 e=30
done
acd0: timeout sending command=a0 s=d8 e=30
acd0: failure to send ATAPI packet command
acd0: failure to execute ATAPI packet command

In my previous RedHat installation, I had trouble with errors caused by dma. My chipset does not support dma transfers. Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks,
Kyle Super