On Nov 11, 2003, at 9:06 PM, Alex Kelly wrote:

Thanks for all of the great suggestions to my previous question!

Yet, the responses have led me to another question. If C++ is newer and more advanced than C, will it replace C? If so, should I learn C++ and forget C?

Alex

It hasn't yet. C++ and C are used by different types of people for different things. If you want to write applications in Windows or Unix environments, C++ will work great for you. If you want to write kernel level stuff, C would be the choice. If you want to write Mac OS X apps, Objective C is the answer (but C would work too with Carbon).

A few more points:
The C programming Language AKA K&R is partly authored by Dennis Ritchie. He wrote the language. That is THE book. Buy it and another book if you want to learn C.

The C++ programming language is also written by the author of the language. Its a good reference, but you can't learn C++ with it. You need more books. I have the C++ o'rielly book and its good, but lacks decent info on Object oriented programming. I'd recommend Absolute C++ along with it to get the basics and then buy the C++ programming language if you really get into it.

As for what language to learn, I can tell you that C is very helpful when learning C++ and Objective C. I took a course on C last year and its helped greatly with the C++ course I'm taking now. I understand where things come from in C++. I must say that C++ is easier than C in my view as i get Object oriented programming to some degree from VB and Java work i've done. I'm also starting to learn objective C (the competitor to C++) so that I can utilize my Macintosh as a development platform. The reason apple used objective C was because Mac OS X is really Nextstep which was written in like 1988 or so.

C is not useless when trying to learn C++, although they are different. I do think of C++ as a superset of C, although as someone pointed out not a perfect one. Fans of each language prefer the model of programming associated with them. A C++ programmer almost always like object oriented design. C programmers like structured programming. Find out which you like and go that route.

Lucas Holt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)